Priol town is 21 kilometers from Panaji. The famous Mangesh Temple
is the oldest Shiva Temple in Goa. The deity was shifted from
Cor-talim to its present site about 1565. The main Temple has an
area of 2871 square meters. The Linga is on a round platform in the
sanctum. There is a lamp pillar at the entrance. The sacred tank of
the Temple is illuminated dur¬ing Festivals. The Linga is covered
with a gold or silver facial plaque depicting God Mangesh. Another '
famous Temple here is the Mahalasa Narayani Temple. The idol of the
god.was shifted to this site in 1567 from verna. The Goddes is said
to fulfill all desires of her devotees and has a very large
following. The temple has very intricate wood carvings on the
pillers and the walls. The floor of the hall is of marble and the
roof is decorated with creeper designs. In the sanctum is the image
of Mahalasa Narayani.
Quelula is near Ponda. The famous Shantadurga Tempie is in this
town. The idol was shifted from Que*
lossim in 1567. The Raja of
Satara Built the Temple. Built in the usual Goa style, the Temple
has the deepstambha (lamb pillar) in the courtyard. The Temple has
marble flooring and the roof is highly decorated. The door leading
to the sanctum is silver plated. The image is placed in the middle
with a Linga on one side and an idol of Narayan inside a separate
structure towards the North. A seven day Fair is held every year at
the temple and thousands of persons from all over attend the Fair.
Another Temple nearby is the Kaileshwar Temple. The sanctum of this
Temple has a self ex¬istent Linga.
Raia Town is 41 kilometers away from Panaji. The Rachol Fortress is
a very old Fort in the area. It was set up to defend the Portuguese
against the Bijapur and Maratha armies. The Fortress was very well
defended by over hundred guns at one stage. The Seminary and Church
of Rachol in¬side the Fortress have escaped the ravages of time. The
foundation stone of the Seminary was laid on 1st No¬vember 1606. It
is a very big build¬ing. The corridors have many beauti¬ful
paintings. The Library of the Semi¬nary has a large number of books.
The Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola is at¬tached to the Seminary.
The town of Rais Ma-gos is situated opposite Panaji across the River
Mandovi. The Rais Magos Fort is a small Fort built in 1551 over the
ruins of a Bijapur Fort. The Fort was rebuilt in 1704. The Fort has
a commanding position and had 33 guns to protect it. It is
now-a-days used as a Jail. The Church of Reis Magos is at the foot
of the Fort. It was built about 1550 A.D. Seven Portuguese
Gover¬nors and Viceroys are buried inside this Church. An annual,
much attended, Feast is celebrated on the 6th January.
Rivona in Sanguem taluka is 22 kilometers away from Sanguem. The
famous Damodar Temple was built here after the Portuguese started
their Temple destruction in Salcete in 1567. The Temple was
reconstructed in 1885 and the Image of Damodar and Lakshmi Narayan
reinstalled. In 1972 the main Temple was again re¬built. The idol of
Lakshmi Narayan is made of black stone and a Linga is dedicated to
Damodar. A one block, balck stone sitting Nandi faces the sanctum
Saligoa Town is eleven kilometers from Panaji. The Church of
Mae de Deus has a very beautiful build¬ing, the foundation of which
was laid in 1867. It is buflt in Gothic style. The saligoa Seminary
located in the town has a big building. The Seminary trains priests
during the preliminary stage of priesthood.
Sanquelim town is about seven kilometers from Bicholim. The famous
Datta Mandir dedicated to Lord Dattareya is located here. The Temple
was constructed around 1882. The white marble three faced statue of
Dattareya is installed in the Sanc¬tum. The Vitthal and Radhakrishna
Temple in Sanquelim Town are also worth visiting.
Siroda town is 10 kilometer; away from Ponda. The Kamaksh Temple is
about 400 years old. The deity is said to have been brought here
from Karwar. A big gate leads to the courtyard with the Deepstambh.
The inner hall is supported by three beautifully carved wooden
pillars. The images of Dattatreya and Maruti are installed in the
inner hall. In the sanctum is the idol of Goddess Kamakshi. To the
left fo the Goddess is the image of Kalbhairava and to the right
that of Vetal. Secondary shrines in the compound have images of